Frequently Asked Questions
Who can nominate for the Stockholm Industry Water Award?
We welcome nominations from anyone with good knowledge about the nominee. Both external and self nominations are welcome.
Who can be nominated?
Companies and business organisations that have made impressive achievements in water and wastewater process technologies, improved performance in production processes, or have made other significant contributions to help improve the world water situation are eligible to be nominated for the Stockholm Industry Water Award.
The award is given to:
- Companies that have demonstrated excellence in their water management
- Companies that have developed innovative products or services that have resulted in major advances in sustainable water management
- Utilities that in collaboration with companies have achieved excellence in their water management.
Over the years, the Stockholm Industry Water Award Laureates have represented regions from all over the world and a broad range of water-related industries.
Who cannot be nominated?
Enterprises associated with tobacco, hard liquor, arms, gambling, pornography or illegal drugs will not be considered.
When can I nominate?
The nomination period for short nomination is usually from mid-June until November 1. The actual dates are announced at SIWI’s web and in SIWIs mailings “Water Front”. Go to “Join mailing list” to add yourself to the mailing list.
What does the nomination involve?
Nominations should be submitted in English using the electronic form.
The committee seeks answers to some key questions:
- Are the achievements innovative and the results proven?
- Are the achievements cost- and resource-effective?
- Is the process or product applicable in other parts of the world?
- What is the importance of the achievements for the water environment on the local or regional scale?
- Can the achievements stimulate other companies to improve their performance?
- Does the company have a strong record of social and environmental responsibility?
How does the nomination process lead to a Laureate?
The nomination process involves the following steps:
1. A short nomination is submitted to SIWI.
2. The received submissions are screened by the Award Committee and a number of top candidates are selected, preferably at least two candidates from each category.
3. Nominators of shortlisted candidates are informed and encouraged to submit a full nomination using an on-line form, usually in mid-December.
4. The full nominations received are then reviewed by the Award Committee, usually beginning of January.
5. The Award Committee appoints the Laureate of the year in March/April.
6. The SIWA Winner of the year is usually announced in end of May
Can I nominate the same enterprise again?
Yes, re-nomination is possible. During the nomination period you may use the online nomination form again (the latest submission will be evaluated), or inform the SIWA Secretary on at firstname.lastname@example.org
Can I nominate more than one enterprise?
Yes, you may nominate several enterprises.
I am unsure if my candidate fits the requirements for a SIWA nominee. What other prizes can I nominate an enterprise for?
The Stockholm Water Prize honours individuals, institutions or organisations whose work contributes broadly to the conservation and protection of water resources and to improved health of the planet’s inhabitants and ecosystems. The national and international competitions for the Stockholm Junior Water Prize are open to young people between the age of 15 and 20.
Can I nominate in another language than English?
No, nominations should be submitted in English.
Can I send support documents?
No, not together with the nomination. If you are shortlisted, we will contact you in order to get supporting documents and additional information.
Can I change or update the nomination?
You have two choices. Use the online nomination form again; only the latest submission will be evaluated. Or send the additional information by email to the SIWA Secretary at email@example.com.
I cannot access the on-line form
You may send the form to firstname.lastname@example.org or post it to
Stockholm Water Foundation, SIWA Secretary
c/o Stockholm International Water Institute
SE- 100 55 Stockholm
The nominations, including all names, is kept strictly within the Award Committee.
When you have submitted a nomination via the online nomination form, you will see a note telling you that your submission has been received. If not, please contact the SIWA secretary at email@example.com
Who selects the winner?
An award committee established by the Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences reviews the submissions and selects the winning company. The committee is comprised by representatives of the Academy and of Global Water Partnership, International Water Association, Stockholm Water Foundation, World Business Council for Sustainable Development as well as leading academics and professionals. Direct approaches to members of the Award Committee may disqualify a nominee from further consideration.
I want more information about the actual ceremony and earlier nominates
Information on earlier Winners can be found at the Winners-page. Information about the Stockholm Industry Water Award Ceremony is available before and during the World Water Week at SIWI’s website as well as at worldwaterweek.org.
Fantastic idea, can I sponsor the Stockholm Industry Water Award?
You can read more about our sponsorship opportunities in our Sponsors Pack, at the sponsorship-page on the SIWI web, or contact Mr. Björn Druse if you wish to find out more and discuss your possibilities.