- The world’s most prestigious water award
First presented in 1991, Stockholm Water Prize is the world’s most prominent award for outstanding achievements in water-related activities.
The prize honours individuals, institutions or organisations whose work contributes broadly to the conservation and protection of water resources and to improved well-being of the planet’s inhabitants and ecosystems.
The purpose of the award is to recognise the most visionary minds that through their accomplishments drive water development forward. Any water-related activities are eligible.
The Stockholm Water Prize Committee reviews nominations and recommends a Laureate to the Board of the Stockholm International Water Institute, which makes the final decision. The Laureate is usually announced each March in connection with the UN World Water Day.
His Majesty Carl XVI Gustaf, King of Sweden, is the patron of the Stockholm Water Prize.
What does it mean to win the Prize?
- The Laureate receives the prize at the Royal Stockholm Water Prize Ceremony and Banquet in Stockholm City Hall during World Water Week.
- Stockholm Water Prize consists of a USD 150,000 award and a crystal sculpture specially designed by Orrefors.
- Stockholm Water Prize is the most prestigious water-related award in the world and provides the Laureates and their work with global acknowledgement and visibility.
- The Laureate is given the privilege to hold a Laureate Lecture during the opening plenary of the World Water Week.
Over the years, Stockholm Water Prize Laureates have represented a broad range of water-related activities, professions and scientific disciplines from all over the world. To explore their full stories, please visit the Laureates page.
Founders, Partners and Supporters of the Prize
Stockholm Water Prize was initially founded by the Stockholm Water Foundation, and is additionally supported by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, the International Water Association, the Water Environment Federation and the City of Stockholm. The Stockholm Water Prize founders, partners and supporters are united in their conviction to push sustainability in the water sector.
In collaboration with: