Nominations for the 2018 Stockholm Water Prize will be open in August.
A candidate for the Stockholm Water Prize shall have attained outstanding achievements of lasting significance for sustainable use and protection of the world’s water resources. The results achieved by the candidate shall have proven impact or great potential and provide stimulation for further important contributions to the conservation and protection of water resources and to improved health and well-being of the planet’s inhabitants and ecosystems. The main achievements of the candidate should be within one or both of the following categories:
Policy and Practices
This broad category covers achievements in the continuum from political initiatives to practical implementation that has improved the governance and management of water, as a natural and economic resource and/or as a human right and basic service. The category includes:
- human rights, conflict resolution, influence on policies, international cooperation with application in the water sector
- sustainable and safe management of water resources
- provision of water supply and sanitation services
- development and application of appropriate technologies
This category includes both basic and applied research to develop new knowledge of and scientific leadership in:
- natural, physical, and/or technological processes
- the functioning of complex systems
- development or improvement of economical, legislative, institutional or administrative principles for efficient, equitable and sustainable water management and service provision.
For both categories, great achievements in outreach and awareness raising are considered merits. This includes education and training of students, water professionals or communities as well as dissemination of information to and awareness raising of decision-makers and the general public.
The international Nominating Committee reviews nominations and recommends a Laureate to the Board of the Stockholm International Water Institute, which makes the final decision. For more information on the nomination process, look at the Frequently Asked Questions or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.