The Action Platform for Source-to-Sea Management (S2S Platform) is a multi-stakeholder initiative that helps freshwater, coastal and marine experts to contribute to global knowledge generation on source-to-sea interconnections, connect and engage in collaborative projects, promote best practices, and take collaborative action to improve the management of land, water, coastal and marine linkages.
The Platform facilitates contact between decision-makers and experts to provide on-demand knowledge, support, advice and guidance to policy development and implementation on freshwater, land, coast and sea, through:
- Joint programmes by freshwater, coastal and marine management organizations and donors.
- Technical expertise to support planning and decision making to pilot and scale up Source to Sea programmes.
- Knowledge sharing to collect and showcase best practices and valuable experiences across regions and host sessions at international forums.
- Capacity development on the application of specific tools and approaches.
- Advocacy and policy dialogue to increase attention and action to address “hotspots” – highly vulnerable areas to the impacts of climate change and human activities.
Our network is open to organisations in the public sector, private sector, scientific community, NGO’s and civil society organisations. If your organization is interested to join, please contact the Secretariat. Click here for a list of our current members.
Why Source to Sea?
The dynamic interface between land and oceans captures a key development and environmental challenge of our time. The international community has recognised the need for integrated coastal and freshwater management in the Manila Declaration on Furthering the Implementation of the Global Programme of Action for the Protection of the Marine Environment from Land-based Activities, adopted by 65 countries in January 2012, which committed “to improve cooperation and coordination at all levels to deal with issues related to oceans, coasts, islands and their associated watersheds, by applying integrated management such as “ridge to reef” approaches, including by involving stakeholders and developing innovative solutions to improve or resolve identified problems”.
The Action Platform for Source-to-Sea Management will facilitate contact between decision-makers and experts to provide on-demand knowledge, support, advice and guidance to policy making and implementation on freshwater, land, coast and sea. By doing so, it will enhance the efforts of the international community to fulfill inter alia its commitments to the Manila Declaration.